St Columbine Catolic Cemetery

About this Cemetery

In the 1850s and 1860s, before the railroad was introduced, this area was known as Martin, and the cemetery dates back to this time. Sometime after the original burials, early settlers built a log cabin Catholic Church measuring 14 X 16 on the east side of the present cemetery. The first mass was held in 1857. The original log church burned, and some of the stones from the original church were used to build Assumption Church, Edgerton, in 1893.

The original portion of the cemetery was unplatted, and it is known that there are lost or unmarked graves here. Mr Braun, sexton, stated that originally some of the family plots had fences surrounding them to protect them from animals on the open range. The newer portion of the cemetery is platted and the cemetery remains open today.