Pleasant Valley Cemetery

About this Cemetery

The Pleasant Valley Cemetery Association was organized in the winter of 1880, and their Charter granted by the State of Kansas in March 1881. George McCaughey was elected President, and R P Edgington as Secretery to the first Cemetery Association board. The first charter members included J E Divelbiss, A N Edgington, John McCaughey Sr, and J S Justice. R M Dawson, J G Shreve, John Toynbee Sr, J C Murray, Giblert Bunnell, Jas L Shreve, Frank Hathaway, and Wm Moreland were also among the original organizing members.

The Pleasant Valley Cemetery District was approved by Johnson County on May 7, 1964, to provide tax support to the cemetery, with the Association to administer the District.

The first recorded burial was Caroline English, Olathe, interred in the winter of 1880, before the cemetery was officially established. The first burial into the establish cemetery was Julia A Edgington, wife of R P Edgington, of Morse, KS, on February 27, 1881.