Campbell Cemetery Steps and Monument

About this Cemetery

According to the Johnson County Cemetery Index, compiled in the early 1980s by the Johnson County Genealogical Society, this cemetery had a long list of names: Little Dutch or Lutheran Cemetery by the German immigrants, Duffner Lane Cemetery for a local family, and Fisher Road Cemetery for a local family. And from other research we find the cemetery was also known as Horse Thief Cemetery.

The Cemetery Index further states about this cemetery:

The Johnson County Atlases shed some light on the time-frames for the family names above. In 1874 D. Duffner owned the section of land to the east of the cemetery. In 1902, Mary Fisher owns a small portion of land that touches the southeast corner of the section containing the cemetery. In 1922 we see a lot of Fishers in the immediate area but none occupied land adjacent to the cemetery.

Merriam Historical Marker: Campbell Home

An article from the Journal Herald, dated June 3, 1991, elaborates on the story of the ring of horse theives that finally were caught after stealing a horse boarded at Joseph Parks' stable on February 8, 1859. This article mentions that John Sullivan, tried, convicted, and hanged as a horse thief on April 6, 1859, may be one of the silent residents of Shawnee's "Horesethief Cemetery" at 55th and Queal.

All that is left of this cemetery today are the steps at the entrance, one old post and ther remainder of a second, the curbed grave right in front of the entrance, and the granite marker. It is interesting to note that while the entrance to the cemetery appears to be in the middle of the block, originally a street ran at an angle connecting to the the angle of Queal. This street is shown in the 1874, 1902, and 1922 Atlases. The cemetery was triangular in shape and the entrance was on the corner of 55th and missing piece of the road. Using satellite images, one can still see the ghost of this long gone leg of road.

Campbell monument inscription:
    Alexander & Nancy Gee
    Pioneers & Early Day Settlers
    Merriam & Shawnee KANS
    Parents D G Campbell
    Founder of Campbelltown
    Now Merriam.
Possible interments:
    Thomas Earnshaw
    William Earnshaw
    John Davis
    Black Baker
    John Sullivan (horse theif)
    3 other horse theives
Rebuilt Campbell Home rebuilt in 1893

David Gee Campbell

A few blocks southeast of the cemetery, on Johnson Drive at Turkey Creek, is the Merriam Historical Marker for the home of David Gee Campell, son of Alexander and Nancy. According to the marker, the original home from the mid-1860s burned in 1891, and the current house was built in 1893 using the original basement.